Nelson Event Funding
Nelson City Council provides annual funding for community and economic events through the Nelson City Events Strategy. The aim of the Strategy is to support a diverse events offering that provides community wellbeing and economic benefits.
The vision of the Nelson City Events Strategy is;
Events that strengthen the region and its identity, stimulate a prosperous, vibrant and engaged community and deliver value at the right time.
The Nelson City Events Strategy sets out a number of key objectives for Events Funding. These are;
- A rich events calendar which maximises opportunities throughout the year
- Measurable economic outcomes for Nelson City
- An events programme that attracts visitors to Nelson and gives the local community a sense of identity
- The promotion of local community wellbeing and cohesion
- A healthy partnership between the events sector, the community and Nelson City Council
The Nelson Regional Development Agency (NRDA) is the first point of contact for event organisers and administers the Events Fund. They can also support events and its organisers with marketing tools, consumer marketing programmes and partnership opportunities. The level of support available is considered on a case by case basis.
The Nelson Events Fund is a limited pool of funding which consists of two components;
- The Economic Events Fund recognises that events are an increasingly important economic contributor that can grow the visitor market and help make Nelson an attractive destination. Current funding for the 2018/19 year is set at $348,000.
- The Community Events Fund recognises that events are important for community well-being, as they build feelings of belonging, identity and a sense of pride amongst our diverse community. Current funding for the 2018/19 year is set at $50,000.